Your appendix is a small, closed tube that is about the size of your finger. It attaches to the beginning of your large
intestine, where the small and large intestines meet and is a segment of the large intestine.
It is open at the end that connects to the large intestine and closed at the other end, so material can move into and out of the appendix but it has nowhere to go. The appendix can contract like the small intestine, and it also has a secreting lining like the small intestine.
The Appendix Is Not Useless – it Incubates Probiotics. For years the appendix was mostly thought to have no purpose. Researchers at Duke University observed that when the body was under attack by pathogens, the appendix releases probiotic bacteria that would perfectly counter the specific type of invaders.
Inflammation of the Appendix:
If the open end of the appendix gets plugged for some reason — either because of swelling or because something from the large intestine gets stuck in the opening — the appendix will start to swell because of the secretions from the lining.
The swelling shuts off the blood supply and bacteria invades. The body responds to the invasion by mounting an attack on the bacteria, and becomes inflamed. If not fixed, the appendix eventually bursts, which can be fatal if untreated
Symptoms of Appendicitis:
The symptoms of appendicitis are pain in the belly button area which will move to the right side of the lower abdomen.
The pain will start off like bad gas and then turn into very severe pain.
There can also be low grade fever, nausea and sometimes even vomiting, loss of appetite and constipation or diarrhea. Pain may be present in the right side of the abdomen when the left side is being pressed. Sneezing and coughing may also be present.
Some people might not have all these symptoms and some might not have any of them, but still have appendicitis.
If one suffers from appendicitis pain one needs to do something about it immediately as the appendix will just burst within time. Bear in mind that appendicitis pain does not go away by just swallowing pain killers.
Once, the prominent symptoms of appendicitis appear, it takes around 24 to 48 hours for the spreading of infection.
In case, the appendix bursts, it calls for a medical emergency, as it cannot be treated through natural remedies. A burst appendix will release pus and infectious organisms into the abdominal cavity. Patient turns clammy and pale when the appendix bursts and the pus is discharged into the abdominal cavity.
Medical Method: The surgical treatment for appendicitis consists of a procedure called appendectomy. In uncomplicated forms of appendicitis, appendectomy is referred to as a fairly simple surgical intervention. Most patients will fully recover within a few weeks after the operation. If there is no treatment for appendicitis, the chances of recovery are considerably diminished even when the surgery is done. Surgery, of course, always has risks as you are cutting into the body – trauma – and also using drugs which are more trauma for the body.
Natural Remedies for Appendicitis
While this is a very painful condition, there are several natural remedies. These remedies play a vital role in preventing the progression of appendicitis from the very initial level. Here is the list of these remedies, which are practiced by people across the globe, to get rid of this situation:
1. Green Gram: One of the most useful home remedies for appendicitis treatment is in the form of green grams. You are advised to consume one tablespoon of this at least 3 times a day to see improvements in the disorder.
2. Vegetable Juices: The juices extracted from a number of vegetables like beet and cucumber serve as excellent remedies for appendicitis. Also, carrot juice is included in the list of treatments for curing this problem. You may also consume all these juices in a mixed proportion.
3. Ginger: The ginger in the form of juice or raw slices is also helpful in the treatment of appendicitis. You may consume ginger in the form of slices, after storing it in the bottle of rock salt for some time. This is particularly beneficial in the case of vomiting accompanied with appendicitis.
4. Gotu Kola: It is the Chinese herbal treatment for appendicitis, lending a helping hand in healing the wounds and repairing the tissues. However, people suffering from hypertension must not consume this herbal medicine.
5. Dandelion: The herbal product with antioxidant qualities is dandelion, which helps in the treatment of appendicitis. In case, the patient also suffers from diabetes or any type of kidney disorder, this herb must not be consumed at any cost.
6. Agrimony: The herb called agrimony is quite effective in the treatment of appendicitis. It must be consumed in the form of tea at regular intervals of two to three hours.
7. Buttermilk: Apart from treating a number of disorders, buttermilk may also be consumed to treat appendicitis on regular basis. The patient must be given at least 1 liter of buttermilk every day.
8. Fenugreek Seeds: This tea is prepared by putting one tablespoon of the seeds in a liter of cold water and allowing it to sunnier fur half an hour over a low flame and then strained it. It should be allowed to cool a little before being drunk.
Regular use of tea made from fenugreek seeds has proved helpful in preventing the appendix from becoming a dumping ground for excess mucus and intestinal waste.
9. Avoiding Constipation: The patient suffering from appendicitis must avoid the existence of constipation, as it may lead to further inflammation of the appendix. Thus, take all measures to avoid constipation in the patient’s body.
10.Turmeric: The mixture of turmeric and ginger must be consumed to reduce pain as well as inflammation caused due to appendicitis. This is an effective and easy to employ remedy for appendicitis.
11. Basil: You may consume decoction of basil to treat appendicitis, especially if you have fever accompanied by appendicitis.
12. Mint: Every 3 to 4 hours drink water with 2 to 3 drops of mint essence in it. Massage your stomach with a mixture of 2 to 3 drops of garlic oil and half a cup of Soya oil.
Nevertheless, it’s very necessary to get diagnosed, in case; the patient thinks he suffers from appendicitis. Prompt treatment helps in reducing further complications.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? EMAIL AND GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED.
If you would like to receive the McVitamins.com Weekly Newsletter, Please Sign up here: Newsletter Signup
© 2000-2018 McVitamins.com
. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this website in full or in part is prohibited without the express written permission of McVitamins.com
We have used our best judgment in compiling this information. The Food and Drug Administration may not have evaluated the information presented. Any reference to a specific product is for your information only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease